If you are American and say that you want to pay a visit to the Middle East and Egypt, it is not unusual to hear “Is Egypt safe for American tourists?” This is due to the political struggles the country has endured and the ongoing challenges posed by radicals operating on their own agendas in many parts of the region. However, the political situation has stabilized, tourism has been increasing every year and it is safe for all westerners to visit this historic land.
Explore: Breathtaking Luxury Egypt Tours
The Bigger Answer to “Is Egypt Safe for American Tourists?”
If you look at statistics relating to problems for tourists in Egypt, from 2016 and onward there has not been a single incident. The official reports note that any issues occurred as the result of conflicts between local groups and had no effect on travelers paying a visit. As one expert noted, “tourist attractions have a quite high safety standard (and always a visible military presence), and buses usually travel in police-escorted convoys” ensuring that no problems occur.
Many argue that a look at similar problems in the United States might make it seem riskier as a place to travel than other destinations. Yet, rather than make comparisons of violence or crime rates, it is better to note that taking certain precautions makes it Egypt safe for American tourists.
Experience: Egypt Tours Packages from USA
The Precautions That Make Egypt safe for American Tourists
So, what steps can you take to ensure that your visit to Egypt is as safe as possible? Here are some easy to use tips:
- Use common sense – Just as you are unlikely to head out into an unknown city late at night or without any advance planning, you won’t want to head out into a city like Cairo, Aswan or Luxor after hours or without doing a bit of research about where you are going.
- Consider a guide – One of the best ways to always remain safe is to hire a guide who speaks the language, knows where to go and which neighborhoods to avoid and how to keep you from any sort of scams or harm
- Always travel with another – Safety in numbers is an old adage, but true and ensures Egypt is safe for American tourists. It is why booking a guided Egypt tour through a reputable agency is also a great way to enjoy a safe visit to any part of Egypt
- Be respectful and conservative in your behavior – From the way you dress to the way you speak, it is best to keep things low-key and unobtrusive. Cultural norms vary in all parts of the world and speaking loudly and boisterously in the wrong location can be very offensive. The same can be said of how you dress and even of table manners, so use awareness to remain safe.
- Use official channels – One thing that can ensure Egypt is safe for American tourists is to do things like booking cabs, hiring a guide and arranging any sort of travel through official channels. The same applies to money changing, which should be done at a bank or ATM.
- Try to avoid peddlers – Though you are not unsafe when dealing with peddlers at many of the main tourism spots, you are likely to be scammed in some way or another. A particularly difficult trick is called the “present” scam in which the peddler offers a token as a gift and then demands a “gift” in return. This is also true of anyone who offers to show you a shortcut across a street for the requisite “baksheesh”.
- Pay attention to health risks – Most experts in travel say that Egypt is safe for American tourists when they do not eat ice cream, unbottled water or fresh juice, ice cubes, fresh salads and other risky foods. Bathing in the Nile may seem tempting but is unwise. Hepatitis A can be an issue, and so can rabies, but most travelers will not need any inoculations prior to a visit.
If you are concerned that you may be unsafe when traveling through Egypt, your fears are unnecessary. If you follow the tips above, and book your journey with a trusted service, you can be guaranteed that every step of the journey is safe, healthy and fun.
Do note that some areas are identified as dangerous, but these are not the main sites for tourism. Instead, it is the Northern Sinai Peninsula that seems to have some difficulty with political tensions and lawless individuals, and that area of Egypt is not safe for American tourists or most other western travelers.
Discover: Top 10 Egypt Tourist Attractions
Why Visit Egypt? It is Safe, Beautiful, Enchanting and Ideal for Tourism
Because so many have asked the question “Is Egypt safe for American tourists and other Westerners?” it is quieter than it has been in decades. Though this is quickly changing and the number of visitors rising each year, you will still find it more peaceful than ever. This would be an ideal time to choose one of the many private, guided tours of the region.
For example, you can find lengthy tours that incorporate a Nile cruise, a ride into the desert on a 4×4, a visit to a historic oasis, guided tours of Cairo, trips to Alexandria or the Red Sea area, and more. Booking such Egypt tours packages means you are part of a secure group and you have the benefit of a knowledgeable guide. Not only can they tell you all about the sites and destinations you are visiting, but they can help you negotiate prices, avoid scams, stay out of harm’s way and savor every moment of the journey.
Whether you want a budget trip of the region, a luxury Nile cruise with loads of land excursions, an iconic expedition of the entire area or specific sites, a romantic honeymoon trip, or even just a detailed visit to a city like Cairo, there are great options. Get in touch with the experts at Egypt Tours Plus. They can assure you that Egypt is safe for American tourists and anyone who wants to experience this beautiful land.
Top 6 Private Guided Egypt Tour Packages