If you are American and say that you want to pay a visit to Egypt or some other Middle East country, it is not unusual to hear people say, “Is Egypt safe for American tourists?” This is due to the political struggles Egypt has endured and the ongoing challenges posed by radicals and other undesirable people operating on their own agendas in many parts of the region. However, the political situation in Egypt has stabilized; tourism has been increasing every year and it is safe for all travelers, including Americans, to visit Egypt.
Explore: Breathtaking Luxury Egypt Tours
The Bigger Answer to “Is Egypt Safe for American Tourists?”
If you look at statistics relating to problems for tourists in Egypt, from 2016 and onward, there has not been a single incident. The official reports note that any issues which have taken place, occurred as the result of conflicts between local groups and it had no effect on travelers paying a visit to Egypt. As one expert noted, “tourist attractions in Egypt have quite high safety standards (and always a visible military presence), and tourist buses usually travel in police-escorted convoys” ensuring that travellers don’t encounter any problemss when they travel from one site to the next.
Many people argue that a look at similar problems in the United States might make it seem that Egypt is a riskier country to travel to compared to some other destinations. Yet, rather than make comparisons of violence or crime rates, it is better to note that by taking certain precautions, a trip to Egypt can be safe for all tourists, regardless of whether they are from America or not.
Experience: Egypt Tours Packages from USA
The Precautions That Make Egypt safe for American Travelers
So, what steps can you take to ensure that your trip to Egypt is as safe as possible? Here are some easy to use tips to keep yourself safe and they apply equally to the citizens of any country:
- Use common sense – Just as you are unlikely to head out into an unknown city late at night or without any advance planning, you won’t want to head out into a city like Cairo, Aswan or Luxor after hours or without doing a bit of research about where you are going.
- Consider using a guide – One of the best ways to always remain safe during your trip is to use the services of a guide who speaks the local language, knows where to go and which neighborhoods to avoid, and how to keep you safe from any sort of scams or harm.
- Always travel with another person – Safety in numbers is an old adage, but true, and it helps to ensure that Egypt is safe for all travelers, including American tourists. It is why booking a guided Egypt tour through a reputable agency is also a great way for people to enjoy a safe trip to any part of Egypt. After all, a good quality tour will include a professional guide, which means that you will will always have someone with you when you are out sightseeing. You will also get to enjoy the country a lot more if you have a guide.
- Be respectful and conservative in your behavior – From the way you dress to the way you speak, it is best to keep things low-key and unobtrusive. Cultural norms vary in all parts of the world and speaking loudly and boisterously in the wrong location can be very offensive to some people. The same can be said of how you dress and even of your table manners, so use awareness to remain safe.
- Use official channels – One thing that can ensure Egypt is safe for American tourists is to do things like booking cabs, hiring a guide and arranging any sort of travel through official channels. Most good hotels will be happy to offer assistance in this regard. The same applies to money changing, which should be done at a bank or ATM.
- Try to avoid peddlers – Though you are not unsafe when dealing with peddlers at many of the main tourism spots in Egypt, you are likely to get scammed in some way or another. A particularly difficult trick is called the “present” scam in which the peddler offers a token as a gift and then demands to get a “gift” in return. This is also true of anyone who offers to show you a shortcut across a street for the requisite “baksheesh”. Unfortunately, every country has some undesirable people who are ready to scam other oeople if or when the opportunity arises. Having a professional guide with you can and will help to keep you safe from scammers.
- Pay attention to health risks – Most experts in travel say that Egypt is safe for American tourists if they avoid things like questionable ice cream, unbottled water or fresh juice, ice cubes, fresh salads and other risky foods. Bathing in the Nile may seem tempting but is unwise. Hepatitis A can be an issue, and so can rabies, but most travelers will not need to get any inoculations prior to their trip to Egypt.
- Have travel insurance – Despite Egypt being such a safe place to visit, it is still a good idea to have adequate insurance coverage. Traveling anywhere in the world without insurance is never a good idea, and it is certainly something you should think about when planning a trip to Egypt as well.
If you are concerned that you may be not safe when traveling through Egypt, your fears are unnecessary. If you follow the tips above, and book your trip through a trusted source, you can be guaranteed that every step of your trip through Egypt will be safe, healthy and fun.
American Citizens and Tourist Safety in the Northern Sinai Peninsula
While Egypt is considered to be very safe for tourists, including people from the United States, the country’s Northern Sinai Peninsula is an exception. This is the only part of Egypt that is deemed to be potentially dangerous for tourists. In fact, it is considered to be a risky area even for ordinary Egyptians. Fortunately, none of Egypt’s main tourist sites are located in this part of the country.
A combination of ongoing political tensions and lawless individuals have made the Northern Sinai Peninsula unsuitable and unsafe for all tourism. At Egypt Tours Plus, we strongly recommend that tourists, including American tourists, avoid all non-essential travel to or in this part of the country. Travel advisories that are issued by most foreign countries will also warn their citizens to avoid this region.
Other parts of the Sinai Peninsula have remained popular among tourist, especially places like Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, and Taba that continue to get thousands of visitors every year. These parts of Sinai are well-known for Their resort hotels, beaches, tiny islands, and world-class SCUBA diving and snorkeling sites. While these areas attract thousands of tourists, we still advise against traveling outside of the main tourist areas without a professional guide.
Discover: Top 10 Egypt Tourist Attractions
Why Visit Egypt? It is Safe, Beautiful, Enchanting and Ideal for Most Travellers
Because so many have asked the question “Is Egypt safe for American tourists and other Westerners?” it is quieter than it has been in decades. Though this is quickly changing and the number of visitors are rising each year, you will still find it more peaceful than ever. This would be an ideal time to choose one of the many private, guided tours of the region.
For example, you can get truly exceptional tours that incorporate a Nile cruise, a ride into the desert in a 4×4, a visit to historic oases, guided tours of Cairo, trips to Alexandria or the Red Sea area, and more. Booking such Egypt tours packages means you are part of a secure group and you have the benefit of a knowledgeable guide to help you get the most out of a visit to this fascinating country. Not only can they tell you all about the sites and destinations you are visiting, but they can help you negotiate prices, avoid scams, stay out of harm’s way so that you can savor every moment of the journey.
Whether you want a budget trip to Egypt, a luxury Nile cruise with loads of land excursions, an iconic expedition of the entire area or specific sites, a romantic Egypt honeymoon trip, or even just an immersive visit to a city like Cairo, there are great options available to you. Get in touch with the experts at Egypt Tours Plus. They can assure you that Egypt is safe for American tourists and anyone else who wants to experience what this beautiful country has to offer.
Breathtaking Egypt Tours
Explore the best of Egypt. Find and book your dream trip today.