Dreaming of Egypt pyramids tours? If there is one thing that Egypt is most famous for, it would probably be the Ancient Egyptian civilization and the enormous structures the people of that time were able to construct. Known as the pyramids, they are found in many different areas of Egypt. Yet, of all the popular things to do in Cairo, Egypt, it is the pyramids at Giza that often rank at the top of the list.
A tour of the Pyramids of Giza is included in all our Egypt tour packages. These pre-arranged packages are flexible and can be fully customized to fit your exact dreams and wishes.
Egypt Pyramids Tours – Planning a Day (or 3) in Cairo
If you are headed to Egypt, it is likely that you will arrive in Cairo. Here, you can take in such amazing sites as:
- Cairo Citadel – A large structure which was originally a castle built by Salah Al-Din
- Al Azhar Mosque – Situated in the oldest university on the planet
- Mosque of Ibn Tulun – Considered one of the oldest and most beautiful in the world, it is one of those unforgettable things to do in Cairo, Egypt
- Hanging Church – The Coptic Christian church is in the old part of the city
- The Nile by Felucca – A charming sail in the Nile gives you amazing views of modern Cairo and can even include a sunset sail
- The Egyptian Museum – Easily one of the world’s greatest museums, it houses an amazing collection of royal mummies and treasures, including those belonging to King Tutankhamen
- Ben Ezra Synagogue – Located near the Coptic Church it is the only synagogue remaining in the city
- Khan Al Khalili Bazaar – Like stepping into a dream of the Arabian Nights, this is a classic souq where you can spend hours shopping for wonderful treasures, bargains and unforgettable souvenirs, it ranks as one of the most popular things to do in Cairo, Egypt
- Giza Plateau – A must for all visitors to the city
And when you do visit the Giza Plateau, you are about to embark on one of the most popular things to do in Cairo, Egypt – see the great pyramids, the Sphinx, the solar boat and more.
Tour the Pyramids of Giza in Cairo
Three great pyramids sit on the Giza Plateau outside of the modern city and they include the enormous pyramid of Cheops and the two smaller structures of Mykerinus and Chefren. The enigmatic Sphinx is part of the complex and there are museums and activities to enjoy in the area. The Giza Plateau must be part of your Egypt Pyramids tours!
The good news is that those who book guided tours of the city of Cairo will be able to enjoy the insightful and well-trained help of a professional guide when they visit the site. This can greatly improve the overall experience as it allows a traveler to understand the many different elements at the enormous complex and even puts them into a more organized timeline.
And though there seems to be millions of things to do in Cairo, Egypt, there is also the rest of the country awaiting. If pyramids are on your list of “must see” destinations, you’ll find a long list of them easily reached. In fact, one of the other popular things to do in Cairo, Egypt is depart for a day trip into the desert nearby where two of the least known and yet oldest pyramids are found.
Visit the Step Pyramid in Saqqara
While you could spend weeks exploring Cairo and savoring the many things to do in Cairo, Egypt, nearby is a historic site just as astonishing. Less than 30 kilometers from the city is the Saqqara complex. This is home to the Step Pyramid – an architectural marvel that is believed to be the first successful attempt at a pyramid built by Imhotep, one of the greatest of the ancient world’s architects.
It is the most popular destination in the Saqqara Necropolis and dates back almost 5,000 years.
Include a Trip to the Pyramids of Dahshur
Dahshur is an ancient royal necropolis located roughly 40 kilometer (25 miles) from Cairo. Located in the desert on the west bank of the Nile River, the necropolis is home to some of Egypt’s best preserved pyramids, the Dahshur Pyramids.
- The Bent Pyramid at Dahshur– Just as the name sounds, this pyramid goes upward at a steep angle and bends inward. This form is an attempt to correct the angle and save the structure. It is a “failed” attempt but one that has lasted for eons
- The Red Pyramid at Dahshur – Also known as the North Pyramid, it is enormous and takes its name from the ruddy color of the limestone used to construct it. It is also the third largest of all remaining pyramids.
- The Black Pyramid at Dahshur – This is another failed structure that might easily be mistaken for a natural outcropping. You cannot approach it for safety’s sake, but it none the less stands as a testament to ancient Egyptian innovation and engineering, as well as an early effort in the pyramid form
Visiting the region’s pyramids is actually one of the best things to do in Cairo, Egypt whether or not you have taken in the different sites of the city itself. Be sure to book guided Egypt tours, though, as there is much to know about every one of the remaining structures.
Egypt Pyramids Tours – Beyond Cairo
Egypt is home to more than 100 pyramids and many are not far from Cairo itself, including those as Saqqara and Dahshur. Yet, you might be surprised to learn there are pyramids also at little known sites near to Cairo, including Zawyet el-Aryan, Abusir, Mazghuna, Lisht and Meidum. Especially the Meidum Pyramid is a breathtaking sight and should be considered in your Egypt Pyramids Tours even though it is located 2-3 hours drive from Cairo.
These are not the only areas, but they can be added to your list of things to do in Cairo, Egypt or the area, during a visit.
FAQ: Egypt Pyramids
Prices vary for Egyptians and foreigners. The 2019 entrance fee is 160 LE for entering the site (included in our Egypt Tour Packages), but extra tickets for visiting inside the Pyramids (360 LE the Great Pyramid; 100 LE the 2nd and 3rd) and the Solar Boat Museum (100 LE).
Yes. The Giza Pyramids Complex is an archeological site that is composed by the Great Pyramids, the Sphinx, the Valley Temple and the Solar Boat Museum. Be aware of the prices though, as you will need extra tickets if wishing to visit inside the pyramids and the Solar Boat.
No. This is because the Ancient Egypt history is divided in Old, Middle and New Kingdom. The construction of pyramids happened during the Old Kingdom, and the foundation of Themes (currently Luxor) happened in the Middle Kingdom, when pyramids were no longer built.
Come Visit the Pyramids of Egypt Your Way!
If you want to see many pyramids during your travels in Egypt, it is possible to book a bespoke tour with expert guides or explore your options for pre-arranged Egypt pyramid tour packages of the top sites. Doing so could help you enjoy a day or two spent exploring the many things to do in Cairo, Egypt as well as its surroundings, and then heading southward towards Luxor or even far south to Aswan.
Though the vast pyramids of Giza rate as some of the most famous sites in the world, Egypt is dotted with many other pyramids from different eras, in different styles and conditions ranging from ruins to impressive examples standing tall. Make sure you pay a visit to several during a journey and get in touch with us here to book custom tours of the different pyramids around the Cairo area and beyond.
Top 7 Best Egypt Pyramid Tour Packages
- Cairo, Nile Cruise and Red Sea Stay | 12 Days
- Luxury Nile Cruise and Cairo Tour | 10 Days
- Round Trip Nile Cruise and Cairo Tours | 10 Days
- Cairo, Luxor, Aswan and Abu Simbel Tour | 8 Days
- Egypt Holiday Tour: Cairo and Nile Cruise | 8 Days
- Best of Egypt Tour: Cairo and Nile Cruise | 8 Days
- Cairo – Luxor Tour Package | 5 Days